Attending a Tamil wedding is like entering into a world of royalty. Tamil weddings embrace the use of red hues and gold and pay a lot of attention to the minutest details to the start of your matrimonial bliss. The best features that make a Tamil Wedding unique are the use of saffron and red colors to lend a lot of richness to the décor as these colors are symbol of sensuality and purity. Tamil weddings are very traditional weddings that are based around the Vedas that are the oldest sacred texts in Hinduism. However, they also incorporate a touch of modernism for both the groom and the bride before they embark in the world of matrimony. The ceremony of a Tamil wedding is, in itself, a fairly long process with an elaborate guest list.
Here are the top 5 things you should know before attending a Tamil wedding!
1) The venue of a Tamil Hindu wedding is usually a temple or a banquet hall, although it is sometimes also held in the great outdoors. The guests who attend the wedding must expect the seating to be assigned, taking note of the fact that the family sits in the front. The bride and the groom sit with a priest on a stage that is called a mandap or a manavarai.
2) Regarding the time frame, a typical Tamil wedding ceremony lasts for around an hour and a half. They are usually followed by either lunch or dinner depending on the time that is set for the wedding.
3) Were you wondering what to wear on a Tamil wedding? Well, don’t worry anymore as we have you covered. At Tamil weddings, women are usually seen wearing very traditional sarees. That includes the non-Tamil guests as well. The hair is usually adorned with flowers or tied up in a neat bun. Men who are from the bride or the groom’s immediate family usually wear white dhotis that are the traditional men’s garment. They also wear a white shirt that has a golden border. The rest of the male guests are usually expected to dress in formal attire. Gold is a common factor between both men and women at a Tamil wedding. A tip is to avoid dressing up in black at a Tamil wedding as it is considered bad luck.
4) Food at Tamil weddings is generally a grand affair. Most of the Tamil weddings serve vegetarian dishes. They include dishes like rice and curries, vegetarian rolls and patties, Tamil sweets and eggless cakes. The sweets are usually prepared with buttermilk or rice. Alcohol is prohibited during the wedding ceremony. If there is a reception after the wedding, you are likely to find alcohol and non-vegetarian dishes.
5) Regarding the wedding gift, most couples prefer to receive monetary gifts that can range from anywhere between Rs.1000-5000.
These are some very basic things you must know about when attending a Tamil wedding. Most matrimonial sites would not acquaint you with these important facts. However, for many more such interesting trivia, you can keep visiting our matrimony site for wedding-related info.